A VIRTUAL CINCO DE MAYO
A little history to get you started: Cinco de Mayo, or the fifth of May, is a holiday that celebrates the date of the Mexican army’s May 5, 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. The day, which falls on Tuesday, May 5 in 2020, is also known as Battle of Puebla Day. While it is a relatively minor holiday in Mexico, in the United States, Cinco de Mayo has evolved into a commemoration of Mexican culture and heritage, particularly in areas with large Mexican-American populations.
for more info check out the rest of History.com’s article!
BOOKS for your Cinco de Mayo Lesson
Cinco de Mayo Lessons
Check out my blog post all about the story taco! Students write about each story element as they create their very own taco. This is the perfect lesson this year since Cinco de Mayo falls on TACO TUESDAY! I’ve just recently updated this product to a DIGITAL version which turned out to be so FUN!!
A blog all about the story taco: Story Taco-Fiesta Transformation
Also take a look at Main Idea Chips and Salsa sort! This is not digital YET…but it’s in the works!
Take a Virtual Field Trip
Always view videos before showing them to your students! You may want to use just a snip-it of the video, a small portion, and leave out some information/video.
- Love this little visit to Mexico by National Geographic Kids! The kids meet local musicians, learn how to finger paint, taste tamales and break open a piñata.
- Visit the Templo Mayor. The Templo Mayor was the main temple of the Mexica peoples in their capital city of Tenochtitlan, which is now Mexico City.
- A slow motion walk in Mexico City.
- Visit Chichen Itza. Chichén Itzá is a complex of Mayan ruins on Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula. A massive step pyramid, known as El Castillo or Temple of Kukulcan, dominates the ancient city, which thrived from around 600 A.D. to the 1200s.
- Visit anywhere in Mexico using Google Earth.
Classroom transformations are looking a little different these days, but if you are preparing for future Cinco de Mayo, Taco Tuesday, or fiesta themed lessons look no further than your own curated Fiesta Transformation Box that I created just for YOU!